CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Writing Between The Lines

Today, in my young writers' group, Scribblers, I found myself giving out some good old tried and true advice.

SHOW don't TELL

This is something I must have written a thousand times on a thousand stories since I qualified as a teacher three years ago. Today, I'd like to set an exercise for the aspiring writers out there, in the hopes that a few of you will feel all inspired and whatnot.

The Challenge.

Write a scene in which two close friends are talking. For some reason, resentment has been building between these two friends but they do not talk about it openly. You will need to communicate both the years of friendship that their relationship is built on, while also exploring this barely-concealed resentment. You must SHOW these feelings, not just say that they are there.

I would LOVE to see these scenes posted in my comments! I'll even send out a prize for my favourite one =P 

Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am an attention seeker and, as such, I HEART comments! Let me know what you are thinking and it will put a smile on my face!